Where in the Appalachian Bioregion are we going?

Where in the Appalachian Bioregion are we going? The consensus was for the White Mountain National Forest (in the Northeast), or the Appalachian states of Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia. Spring Council selected a site in North Eastern Tennessee.

If you're not familiar with the gauntlet on the road into the gathering, and want to avoid a mandatory court appearance ticket click here.

For the Howdy Folks and directions to the gathering, click here. For the United States Forest Service Incident Command website with groovy maps and updates, click here.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Brain on Nature

One of my favorite parts of being at the gathering is the opportunity to live with my family on the land according to the rhythms of the sun and the moon, the wind and the rain. My day job is in computer technology so I spend way too many hours a day dealing with computers and people amped up on instant messaging and coffee.

Sitting in the shade with my family making acoustic music changes the way my brain works. Participating in a circle and gazing in the eyes of my family as I try to understand their perspective is a multi-dimensional experience. I see their smiles, notice their breathing, and hear the song in their voices. The proximity of our bodies to each other and to dirt, grass, trees and sun gives me a depth of understanding that is only possible when we council together on the land.

Listening to the wind in the trees and watching the moon rise changes the way my brain processes information. I begin to tap into deeper ways of knowing. Hauling water and chopping wood helps ground me into Mother Earth, into the wisdom she has to share.

Singing with my family harmonizes my soul with those of my family. The songs we share create space for peace in my heart, the land around me, and my beautiful brothers and sisters.

Image from http://www.bliss-fire.com
For this and other chants that can be sung to help you experience your brain on nature, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment